Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Squirrels in the Hood

Kevin Hernandez - UNT Social Science Major

Today is my last post, the Mandala is hardly recognizable from the first time we came out here. It is amazing to think about how far it has come from the first week. Everything is in full bloom, the flowers in the field are back as are the clovers, the cottonwood and the post oaks are fully green and beautiful and the Mexican plums are much taller and more tree looking than they did at the start. This is also the most extensive grouping of bugs I have seen, along with the roly-poly bugs, there are many fast moving, small black ants and a few much larger fire ants. This is also the first time in a month that I have had squirrel activity in the Mandala, even though it was just a brief passing through to another tree. Most surprising of all are the birds, up until this week, I hadn’t seen a single bird in my Mandala, today however I was graced with the presence of two robins as they chased each other through the cottonwood branches. I’m so glad we have done this Mandala project it has made me much more aware of my surroundings and has given me a much deeper interest in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment