Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Springtime Rush

Ross Krouse - UNT Geography Major

Times are changing in my mandala location. As soon as I walk up I can feel it radiating off of my area of observation. Too me it seems as if it’s a completely different place, with a whole new feeling of life and energy seeping out everywhere my eyes look. Exact opposite of when I started in January.

The first thing I noticed was the prevalence of insects in my mandala, from creepy crawlers to aerodynamic flyers and all sorts in between. In my area there is a garden of Texas native pollinating plants, and I think they are doing their jobs quite well judging by the level of bug activity. But you can tell some clean up of the mandala has been done by humans because it looks too “pretty” and “organized” not like it would look if it would be left alone after planting. The bugs are harsh but nothing like the marshes of south Louisiana, or anything like the Amazon. But to us at this location that we are used too it seems like a lot. Just like someone from the Caribbean might not think it’s so hot in Florida but someone from Wisconsin would think Florida is boiling.

The post oaks are taking off with the springtime rush; they have changed substantially. They look fresh and flourishing instead of dry and dormant. Just being in their presence gives me a feeling of being tiny and fragile. They look so powerful and majestic, and every time I glance their way I can’t help but think about what kind of crazy vast roots systems they must have to hold themselves up. The grass hasn’t been cut. I think it looks better this way and more natural.

I’m starting to think the insects find me more attractive than the pollinating species.

No comments:

Post a Comment