Friday, February 6, 2015

Mockingbird


Preston LaFarge - UNT Anthropology Major

Today in the mandala was brisk. Not uncomfortably cold but winter was still in charge. Of course my temperature sensing is set to Texas, so an unbearably cold day for me might mean summer vacation to another.

Either way winter is still present in the mandala that is why I was surprised to observe groups of insects hanging around the yucca plants and in the canopy of the oak trees. The insects were too small and moving too fast for me to identify them. But a fellow classmate is fairly sure they are midges, which are active in the spring.

The Mexican plum tree was also showing signs of spring. The developing flower buds are growing in size. They typically flower in March, before any leaves develop. I have read from some sources that agriculturalists would time their spring planting to the flowering of the plum trees.

The plum tree provides thick intertwining branching that is perfect for birds to take refuge in. and of course I saw a mockingbird come down from the trees to eat the midges. The mockingbird is new to the mandala or at least new from my perspective. I am the new one from the mockingbird’s perspective.

The mocking bird in an interesting bird. They are known for intelligence and of course the ability to mimic other bird’s songs.

It seems spring is coming, although slowly to the mandala.

No comments:

Post a Comment